President Islamic Republic of Pakistan Mr Mamnoon Hussain has awarded Mr Khalid Naeem former Director General Special Education, National Human Rights Award in recognition of his services towards the cause of disabilities in Pakistan. The International Human Rights Day is observed worldwide every year on 1Qth December in recognition of Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR), adopted by the United Nations in 1948. Ministry of Human Rights also celebrates the Day at national level in a befitting manner, in collaboration with the relevant stakeholders. This annual celebration is a regular feature.
The present democratic Government stands committed to ensure equal rights of all citizens as enshrined in the Constitution of Pakistan and UDHR. Prioritizing Human Rights Agenda, the Prime Minister of Pakistan has approved the Action Plan for Human Rights on 13th February, 2016 which is being implemented in the country to further improve the situation.
This year, on the occasion of International Human Rights Dayon 101h December, Ministry has conferred National Human Rights Awards to the Human Rights activists who have rendered meritorious services for realization of Human Rights including Rights of Women, Children, Minorities, Persons with disabilities (PWDs) and other vulnerable segments of the society.
A Committee headed by the Mr. Kamran Micheal, Minister for Human Rights, has recommended the name of Mr Khalid Naeem for his meritorious services towards the disability movement of Pakistan.
The achievements of Mr Khalid Naeem are numerous however, we have tried to cover some of his achievements during his professional carrier, which are as under:-
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE GOVERNMENT
- A Consultant, Ministry of Social Welfare and Special Education, from July 2009 to March 2010 (worked on follow-up of National Policy for the PWDs, National Plan of Action for PWDs, President’s directives and Federal Cabinet’s decisions concerning rights, welfare and rehabilitation of PWDs and other marginalizes groups).
- Director General (Directorate General of Special Education) Ministry of Social Welfare and Special Education (leadership role for matters concerning administrative, professional and financial management of 127 projects for PWDs located in various parts of the country from March 2008 to June 2009 with particular reference to meet the challenges of Human Rights approach).
- Director at Directorate General of Special Education (dealing with planning/execution of projects of all disabilities at national level) from January 2007 to March 2008.
- Principal, National Special Education Centre for Hearing Impaired Children, Islamabad from July to December 2006
- Director (Planning/Inclusive Education) at Directorate General of Special Education from December 2005 to June 2006.
- Director at Directorate General of Special Education-Planning/management and execution of projects for all disabilities (2003-2005)
- Director,Policy and Research (Women Development Wing), Ministry of Women Development, Social Welfare and Special Education (1997-1999) matters to look after matters concerning Research and Policy concerning women development and Gender related issues with regard to human rights of women.
- Director, National Commission for Child Welfare and Development, Ministry of Social Welfare and Special Education (Project designing/management /implementation concerning welfare and development of children, from September 1995 to October 1999) to address the issues concerning rights of children.
- Director/National Coordinator (planning/ management /supervision of Special Education Centers/Projects located in various parts of the country), Directorate General of Special Education from October 1992 to August 1995)
- Planned and delivered lectures and training manuals on rights of PWDs (male/ female)
- Deputy Director, National Commission for Child Welfare and Development Ministry of Social Welfare from May 1984 to October 1986 (Education and Development of child labour, orphans, street children and children in prison) with particular reference to human rights approach.
- Additional Charge, Deputy Director, National Council for Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (NCRDP) (1982-1984) to address the issue of right of employment of PWDs.
- Research Officer, Ministry of Social Welfare and Special Education – To plan programs/projects on community development, human rights concerns and social welfare issues from January 1981 to April 1984
- Assistant Program Officer in the Secretariat of International Year of the Child, Ministry of Social Welfare from August 1978 to December 1981 (A project financed by UNICEF)- organized all activities of observance of International year of the child with main emphasis on rights of the children.
- Vocational guidance Officer, Department of Labour and Manpower, Government of Punjab from September 1976 to February 1978 (Education, rights and vocational training of children in schools and colleges).
- Social Welfare Officer, Pakistan Society for the Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons, Lahore from March to August 1976
- Advisor, Deaf Education and Welfare Association (DEWA) Trust
- Advisor (Rehabilitation) Helping Hand for Relief and Development from 5111March 2012 till to date. Specifically through human rights approach.
- Associate Consultant, Avicenna Consulting (Pvt.) Ltd from July 2011 to date
- National Project Coordinator, JICA Project on Social Inclusion/Participation of People with Disability (PWD) in mainstream (June 2010 to Dec.2011). Specially worked on rights of PWDs of rural areas.
- CEO, Social and Economic Development Association (SEDA) working on issues of minorities, trans gender, women and children rights.
- National Coordinator, Pakistan Forum for Disability (PFD) to work on advocacy and lobbing concerning rights of PWDs
- Honorary Country Representative, International Council for Education of People with Visual Impairment (ICEVI)- designed and implemented an action plan to improve enrollment of visually impaired children in general education and special education schools-Pakistan Chapter from March 2008 till to date
- Child Rights Advisor, Plan International (main emphasis on out of school children)from December 1999 to March 2003
- Member, National Core Group to prepare National Policy/National Plan of Action for the PWDs.
- Consultant, Plan International – designed and implemented the project on nRegistration of Child at Birth” at NationalLevel from March 1998 to November 1999 to address of issue of basic right of the child as perCRC
- Honorary Vice Chairman (ICEVI), West Asia Region International Council for Education of People with Visual Impairment
- One of the founder members of introducing concept of Inclusive Education in collaboration with Ministry of Education, Provincial Education Departments, UNESCO, SightSavers Pakistan and UNICEF.
- Conducted study of The Asia Foundation (TAF) titled “Strengthening the Human Rights Capacities of Provincial Governments-Mapping of the National and Provincial Departments dealing with the Human Rights issues”
- Established the first pilot project on Inclusive Education in the general education schools of each province, GilgitBaltistan and AJK (2007-2009)
- Introduced first Inclusive Education Project for Visually Impaired Students at two general education schools in Islamabad during 2004-2005 in collaboration with Sight savers Pakistan.
PUBLICATIONS AND KEY REPORTS Child Rights
- Prepared National Report on Implementation of Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC)
- A paper was presented during Provincial Seminar on Convention on the Rights of the Childfor Parliamentarians of Pakistan on “National Policy, Plans and Programs for Juvenile Justice”
- A Paper on implementation of relevant clauses of Convention on the Rights of the Child on Health during a National Training Course for Doctors organized by Health Services Academy Islamabad on 4th May 1999
- Developed national level NGOs Policy Statement on child labour and Plan of Action by organizing 17 Divisional level, four provincial level and one national level workshop during 1998 in collaboration with ILO